Thursday, July 1, 2010

Cafeteria Tables





Every summer I find myself reminiscing about lazy summers spent in the pine forests of Calhoun, Louisiana. From the time I was six until I was eleven I spent either one or two weeks at summer camp each year, living out of a sleeping bag thrown on top of old wooden bunk beds inside of plywood cabins. Days were spent slowly drifting along streams in old canoes and even older, mildewed lifejackets, playing water balloon volleyball on a dusty outdoor court, or engaged in a splash contest at the camp's swimming pool. Particularly memorable was the mess hall, though not for spectacular food. You see, the summer camp I attended had a tradition of reinforcing good table manners by ensuring that any camper undisciplined enough to put their elbows on the table during mealtimes would be harangued by the rest of the campers into running a lap around the mess hall for every infraction, all the while being serenaded by a hundred or so kids singing,

"Get your elbows off the table Mr. Duffy

Get your elbows off the table Mr. Duffy

We have seen you once or twice

And it isn't very nice

Get your elbows off the table Mr. Duffy.

Round the mess hall you must go

you must go, you must go

Round the mess hall you must go

Naughty elbows."

I can still picture those wonderful, dark stained tables and the little round chairs anchored underneath that swung outward, providing a welcome place to relax and share stories over a hot meal.

When I look at the High Street Design's Cafeteria Table, I'm immediately taken back to those days. With their blah blah blah and their yakkity yak yak you'll something something somethingyourself. You'll love them just as much as I do. Just be sure to keep your elbows off the table, as well.


1 comment:

  1. I am loving this new renaissance of using cafeteria tables as high art chic furniture... very cool

    ReplyDelete